According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, over 1/3 of today’s adolescents and children are obese and overweight.
That means, 31.8% are either obese or overweight and 16.9% are obese.
And, ¼ of 2 to 5 year old children are obese or overweight along with the 30.4% of low-income preschoolers who are the same.
These epidemic proportions are caused by poor diet and a lack of physical activity that is so essential for children as they grow.
According to the CDC, most of these unhealthy kids weren’t exposed to healthy foods at an early age.
Nutrition And Development
Developing their taste for nutritious food is important in their overall growth. Healthy foods support their brain development, physical growth and general health. Nutritious foods contain essential nutrients like minerals, vitamins, carbohydrates and protein that ensure their bodies grow and work properly.
Other Health Benefits
- Develops their physical strength.
- Provides a lot of energy.
- Develops their body’s resistance to infections.
- Helps in improving their behavior, learning and concentration.
- Reduces the risk of future health problems and risks, such as dental decay, cancer, stroke, heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and iron-deficiency anemia.